Originall posted September 22, 2016.
Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew all about people. No one needed to tell him about human nature, for he knew what was in each person’s heart. (John 2:23-25 NLT)
I love verses 24 and 25 because they reveal the absolute deity of Jesus. Only God knows what’s in a person’s heart. Therefore, Jesus is God! Some people are intuitive and can SENSE what another person’s motives may be. But only God can KNOW.
Today, many people come to Jesus with hidden motives or agendas:
- “I am trusting in Jesus because I need to be healed.”
- “I am trusting in Jesus because I hope he will get me out of a bind.”
- “I am trusting in Jesus because I think he will help me get ahead in life.”
- “I am trusting in Jesus because I have some relationship problems only he can fix.”
- “I am trusting in Jesus because I’m tired of feeling lonely,” or “powerless,” or “depressed,” or “discouraged,” or “rejected,” or “unclear.”
Be honest with yourself: yes you want Jesus, but when you come to Him it’s often because you want something else too. Jesus plus something.
Why be honest with yourself about it? Because Jesus already knows your hidden agenda; it is never hidden from Him. The REAL reason you are hiding it is because you are trying to hide it from yourself. Your desire for clarity, acceptance, encouragement, freedom, hope, strength, friendship, healing, deliverance, or less stress is really an idol in your heart that is keeping you from truly knowing Jesus. Idolatry is a sin.
What is your agenda-idol?
Come clean. Confess it. Confessing your sin doesn’t do anything for God. He already knows about it. Confessing your sin does something for you; it gives you an awareness of the things you’ve been trying to hide.
The bottom line: your agenda is flawed and can not be trusted, but His agenda is perfect and is perfectly trustworthy. Admit your hidden agenda. Give it a name. Lay it aside. Come to Jesus just for Jesus. He will take care of everything else in His time and in His way.