As a consultant I’ve learned there are three primary reasons people don’t hire coaching consultants:
- They think they can’t afford a consultant.
- They think they don’t need advice from someone who isn’t living in their shoes.
- They don’t think they have time to mess with consulting.
Here’s why these three assumptions are wrong:
- Consultants are often willing to negotiate rates. Consultants would rather work for a discounted rate than not work. If you don’t like the rates they offer, make a counter offer. Maybe they’d be willing to use some of their airline miles or stay in your extra bedroom. Maybe they’ll knock off a percentage in exchange for some word-of-mouth advertising.
- Consultants bring a fresh perspective. Sometimes the best advice comes from people who aren’t walking in your shoes. It’s easy to get so caught up in your own circumstances that you can’t see your blind spots. Consultants and Coaches can see those blind spots quickly and help you avoid them.
- Consultants help you earn your pay. The leader is an organization’s greatest asset. You invest in your team because they are a great asset. You invest in marketing, product development and customer relations because all of these are assets. Sadly, most leaders spend little or no money investing in themselves. What a tragedy!! Without great leadership your organization will go nowhere. You can’t afford NOT to hire a consultant. Hiring a consultant is like bringing a conference to you…a custom-made conference just for your context. Consultants make you better and what you do and therefore make you worth your salary.
Think about the biggest problem you are facing right now. A consultant can help with that! Think about the toughest leadership decision you’re facing right now. A consultant can help with that!
Consultants can help you figure out:
- Why your organization isn’t growing
- Why you have a staff-revolving-door
- Why your customers are leaving
- Why you aren’t hitting your targeted goals
- Why people don’t seem to listen to you
- Why people don’t see how truly great your product is
- Why people are leaving your church for the one down the street
- Why you loved your job last year and hate it today
- Why ____________________ (fill in the blank)
Consultants are strategic leadership doctors! So hire a consultant or coach and do it this week! If you wait excuses will creep up and keep you from making a great leadership choice. Whether it’s myself or someone else, figure out how and when to hire a consultant…you’ll be making a tragic leadership mistake if you don’t.